Finger food is the most popular go-to snack and a big hit at most parties.Here are a few ideas for homemade party snacks – all using regular kitchen ingredients, of course. Let your tiny tots explore new tastes.
Arancini with a Kurkure twist
Arancini is a stuffed rice ball and is a pure Italian goodness. Today, let us give Arancini a desi Kurkure twist. Since Kurkure is made of Rice, Corn, and Dal, it gives great crispiness while the spices and condiments used in kurkure make the Arancini balls, a flavor bomb.
- Cooked plain rice – 1 Cup
- Finely chopped onion – ½ cup
- Spice powders – 1 Spoon each (Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam masala)
- Salt – to taste
- All-purpose flour – 2 Tablespoons
- Coarsely crushed Kurkure – 2 cups
- Mozzarella cheese cubes – 10
- Oil – for frying
- Mash rice in a bowl, add chopped onions, all the spice powders, and salt and give it a good mix.
- Mix the all-purpose flour with water to form a smooth watery paste. Spread the coarsely crushed Kurkure on a plate.
- Now make balls out of the rice mixture and place the mozzarella cube in the middle and shape into a smooth ball.
- Now dip the balls in the all-purpose flour paste and roll it in the Kurkure mixture to evenly coat the balls.
- Deep fry the balls to a golden brown color.
- Munch on the piping hot gooey Arancini cheese balls with Mayonnaise Dip
Baked Vegetable Chips
Welcome veggies to your kitty party with this recipe. Yes, baked chips are crispy, crunchy and guilt-free and a great way to retain nutrients while not demanding kids to give up on their crunching habit.
- Beetroot – 2
- Sweet Potato – 2
- Oil – to coat
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In the meanwhile scrub and slice the vegetables into very thin slices.
- Coat the slices with a little oil and sprinkle some salt.
- Line the baking tray with a parchment paper and arrange the slices with enough space between each chip.
- Bake the chips at 180 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp. Rotate the tray halfway through the cooking time to achieve even browning and crispiness.
- Season immediately with salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
Note: For beets, after coating the slices with oil and salt, leave it out for about 10 minutes for them to sweat out the water and then bake them to crisp.
Crispy Potato Fingers with a vegetable twist
Who wouldn’t love delicious potato snack? Here’s a healthy vegetable twist on the already delicious potato fingers.
- 4 Potatoes – Cut into long finger shape and parboil it
- Red and Yellow bell peppers – 1 cup
- Onion – ½ Cup
- Carrot – 1 Cup
- Corn Flour – 2 Tablespoons
- Oats – ½ Cup
- Bread Crumbs – 1 Cup
- Oil – to fry
- Cut the potatoes into finger-shaped strips and parboil them with a dash of salt
- Blend the onion, carrots, red and yellow bell peppers together to form a smooth paste. Mix corn flour and oats to the paste so that the paste sticks to the potato fingers. Add water if required to form a smooth paste.
- Now dip the parboiled potato fingers in the prepared paste and roll it on the breadcrumbs to give an even coat.
- Deep fry the fingers until they turn golden brown on all sides.
- Season the hot fingers with salt and pepper and serve.
Tofu is derived from soy and is a very healthy protein when given in moderate amounts. Your kids will love to munch on this treat with a Chinese twist.
- Tofu – 1 packet cut into long sticks
- Minced Garlic Cloves – 3
- Soy sauce – 2 Tablespoons
- Chilli Sauce – 2 Tablespoons
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 Cup
- Garlic Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Sesame seeds – ½ Cup
- Bread Crumb – 1 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Prick the tofu onto the skewer sticks
- In a bowl, add minced garlic, soy sauce, and chili sauce, give it a good mix. Marinade the tofu for an hour, so that it absorbs all the flavors.
- Mix water with the all-purpose flour to make a smooth watery paste.
- In another bowl, add bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and sesame seeds and whisk to combine.
- Now pat off the excess marinade from the tofu sticks, dip them in the all-purpose flour paste and roll them in the breadcrumbs and sesame mixture and give an even coat.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius. Place the tofu sticks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet coated thoroughly with cooking spray. Bake for 5-6 minutes, then turn the sticks over and bake for 5-6 minutes more or until golden and crispy.
Note: Soak the wooden skewers in warm water before using it in the oven or a hot grill to avoid skewers from cooking along with the food